Friday, October 10, 2008

A great time snorkelling

I wrote this document for a L.A. assignment that Mom had brought me. It is about our snorkeling adventure at Peponi resort. My parents loved it and they said I should put in on the blog. Hope you enjoy it!

The fun began at about 10:30am. We gathered and made our way to the Pepi. There were 19 of us. 12 boys and 7 girls. We headed out towards the almost visible reef. As the doul motored across the rolling waves the crews starts to move and orders are being yelled until finally a massive sail is perched high on the mast. The boat rolls with the waves as we look out on the Indian ocean and some surronding islands. The horizon is clear, like a pencil line on the earth. Not a cloud I t eh sky. The sunscreen is passed around because we all know we are going to need it. We anchor to reeef stretching for miles down the coast. There is about a meter of water between us and a beautiful coral reef with hundreds of fish and sea life. The sun beats down on your face as fins and masks are passed about and we move ourselves into the water. Only a few seconds and your eyes are amerced in color. From the brightest of pinks to just plain black and white these fish are where graffiti artists pick their colors. They come in all shapes and sizes. The really neat ones camouflage into the seaweed to even the extent that it looks like the fishes body moves with the weed. The mention of stinging jellies scares me a bit, but I would have had no fun if I let the freak me out. I didn’t see one myself the entire time. I don't want to leave the water but we must to move to other fun things. Within minutes the sail was high and full of wind and heading northwest of the reef to a disappearing sand island. We arrive and the sand is hot on our toes. It is the color of parched wheat just before harvest. Everyone quickly lathers up with sunscreen as the crew unloads our lunches and builds a quick shape structure. Lunch consisted of whatever you ordered at the bar. I had a crab and mayonnaise sandwich like so many others. The water is warm and lots have come to the consensus that it is saltier then at home. Dad doesn’t believe it. I spend most of the rest of the day in the water. I circumnavigated the rather small island only with arm power (crawling along the sand. In the water) Dad didn’t believe I could do it but I did. We return to the Pepi and sail o home with a full sail. We return tired with crusty sea hair bit if you ask any one of us we will tell you they had a great Day. BY GRIFF

No comments: